Monday, November 27, 2006

the blunder years

There are these few highs in life that you
can never forget come what may. The excitement,
the rush, the pride et al.Its not just you who
remember all of those. Friends, family and every
single person,known and unknown, who happened
to share those moments with you do too.But to
think of the way the human memory works, its not
just the heroic moments that are etched forever
within us.There are the days of doom, the heights of
embarrassment, the epitomes of shame and so on
and so forth. In a very weird sense I started to
recollect a few. In return it all came screaming
back to me in a way that beyond a point I started
thinking how on earth I survived all those.

A few excerpts:

[I should of course mention that I had to censor
quiet a few and that I get embarrassed very
easily]

Back in 7th std I used to take the bus home.
The famous 27B. If I remember correctly chennai
had about 16 buses on that route and there was
one crossing our school between 3:05 and 3:10pm.
There was this one time I was on one of them
when it happened. The bus broke down some place
in P.H.Road.The conductor to go by tradition called
for everyone to push it back to action.Almost all
the "men" got down. I wasn't sure what exactly to
do but then I though what could be the worst thing
that could happen, so I got up. I barely reached the
steps when this crazy college guy had to yell out
"hey arnold, ukkaru" (THUUDDD). The entire bus had a
pretty good real laugh..all but one


Years before that, probly 2 or 3 years before
I wanted to become a someone in cricket.My game
wasn't bad at all for an average kid. So I pestered
my dad to get me into the school crick club and
he gives in after sometime.First day Im out there
hitting, fielding , not blowling and everything
seemed to go fine. After the class all the kids
clad in dirty-white, a rare shade that.A result of
rolling on red soil to make that dive catch when it
could have been stopped with your toes while holding
a book in one hand and a sandwitch in the other.
but what the heck everyone wanted to be a hero.
Anyway
after everyone comes around, the coach
started to
read aloud all the names ,some kind of
attendence
probly and my name was left out.This
was a relatively
simple situation I understand, but
at that time I was
not a relatively simple boy. So
I cried (i know most
of your reactions would be.
... Duh!!!??).It was
so so embarrassing for years
together after that.
I didnt feel that bad even when
my off-stick went
flying to the first ball of the match
in a inter
class tournament.


This one is highly reasonable and anyone, no
matter how high a threshold for public humiliation
would loath such a memory. One evening I was
playing with all my colony buddies. There was
this kid who got a new dog.It was black and
hairy, a little weird though.I love dogs but
there was something about this one which constantly
made me wonder what it actually was. So we're all
playing with it and suddenly this dogs freaks out
and starts chasing me. I think he thought of me as
something weird as well.So I try to figure a way out

and climb on the side walls of the steps along the
grill. The damn dog kept jumping and trying to attack
me. Just when I was trying to avoid it my bermudas
got caught in the grill and I slipped from the stairs.
(THHUUUUDDD again). Few seconds later I was badly
bruised, had a dog smelling my crotch and the
worst part was my bermudas was torn in half. It was
in pieces hanging on to me like some kinda ultra hip
skirt or something. My house was two streets away and
it was a summer evening so it was all bright.Rest is
history..no catastrophe.

[I know this sounds a lot "wonder years"y but watching
a lot of it was actually why i wrote this. Please do leave
one or two of your own experiences]

9 Comments:

Blogger That Squirrel said...

hmmm...it would have been awesome to have been there to see all this! You fell a lot didn't you? :p
You want me to put up my embarassing stories here?? ok ok...my blog is full of those anyway!
I used to be a part of the skating club in Nagercoil. This one time there was a marathon where we all had to skate around town. Half way through some of us saw this scooter guy and decided to hold on to him and make like a train. It was right after the rains and the roads were slippery. I slipped and fell but didn't let go of the scooter because I was scared a vehicle behind me would run over me. So the scooter guy dragged me for a while until I heard the jeep behind honk like mad and the guy stopped. I looked up at the jeep and it was my dad. My bleeding knee had to be rushed to the hospital. Luckily it wasn't too bad.
A recent one: I was living in this house where the staircase had a landing. I was waiting for the Fedex guy and when I heard the doorbell, I ran down the stairs and slipped on step no.1 and rolled all the way to the landing. Then I got up and ran and slipped again and fell all the way to the ground floor right up to the front door and opened it. The guy looked so scared and told me he thought someone was having a fist fight inside!

1:10 AM  
Blogger germinal dreamer said...

simple and sweetest of all embarassments..

all the cousins loaded inmy hall.. even the aunts and the uncles were present.. theres this occasional calm in family get-togethers. there was one such.. so i stayed silent but my bowels wudn't so i started walking to wards restroom.. my room wanted to break the silence.. she said "enna vijay *** poraya.. seri po"
BTW i miss wonder years.. the best ever series..

9:22 PM  
Blogger Vijay said...

haha. u never told these to us. i had so many instances and kaevy had put me into trouble lot of times. one such instance was vellore cmc trip..yes most of us were present..

playing chi--koo--lii--baa on the streets of vellore, outside a town bus stop. guess it was the only time i was beating every1 but suddenly this police constable appears from nowhere. he shouted at me, dont know y it was me.. all school ponnunga and pasanaga and straphangers, ellarum looking at me.. oh man y me?

funny to recollect thpse instances.good one my frnd.

8:20 AM  
Blogger Wherever I May Roam said...

i had one crazy incident way back in 8th standard i guess when the parakkum train was new and it was kind of the hapenning thing in mylapore. When we had nothing to do, we would just go one trip back and forth on that train and travelling on footboard was exhilarating. So one day, as usual i was waiting on the platform for the train to start so that i can get on the footboard. Some silly fellow comes and he makes some crazy comment at me and give back more than he can handle and so he is gone pretty soon. Now the train starts moving and gathers speed pretty quickly and i havent yet boarded it and i am running on the platform along with the train. Suddenly a voice from inside shouts "Aayyy..... yeru da ulla".. so i get in. the fellow asks whether i have a ticket. with pride i say "ofcourse" and he asks "first class ticket'a adhu" (till then i had not heard the term first class ticket in MRTS)..so i say .."first class'aa ???" and he gives me one big slap (i mean it....it really hurt) and i turn around to look where my friend was....and he has already shown "maan karate" .. and suddenly the train stops and i get down in tears and rush to the ticket counter to ask what a first class ticket is.... and the fellow says to my utter disgust..."first class'aa ?????"

2:51 PM  
Blogger the inward odyssey said...

step back.... we have a winner!!!!!(atleast so far)..aaandyyy.. top notch...how come we never heard this story all this while

5:16 PM  
Blogger Karen Xavier said...

poor aandy, how can somebody be this rude to a small boy!!! Poor thing.
And the 'arnold' incident was funny man... the big boy was only looking after you :0)

5:44 AM  
Blogger B.V.K. said...

hehe.. sounds so much like my childhood!

6:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

what happened to that dog?
He dog or a SHE dog?

11:31 PM  
Blogger the inward odyssey said...

well chronic writer....i really didnt bother to check...every time i think of it ..i only have two words... ."that bitch"...oh!!!! there you go

5:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home